Saturday, December 20, 2008



Typical scene to Chiangmai

Day 6 : 18 Nov 2008. On the train to Chiang Mai


After our Fajr prayer at Chkrabongse Mosque we had a quick breakfast and packed some fruits for the journey.Banana is a must for Ramly while I pick some big red Washington apples, juicy Chinese oranges and Thai guava as we knew that fruits makes good substitute for rare halal food. My small day bag was still loaded with pitted prunes, biscuits and tit bits which I stocked before leaving home. We climbed into the train released our mountainous load of luggages ,slump into the seats smiling knowing that for the next 12 hrs its the train that will carry our backpacks while we sit and relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery away from all those sour faces that we had to meet everyday at home .

The train finally move at 8:30 am right on time. Good Bye Bangkok. Good Bye Sour Faces. Good bye think big AJKKKg ( Local Village Action Committee ). Good Bye Mercedes Snobs. Good bye Mr.Chairman This.... Mr.Chairman That....... I am happy to be on my own in a place no one knows. We are just speck of dusts of an unknown little place in this world.You won't know and will NEVER ever know who you really are until you hit the road.

Ayuthiya the old capital of Siam

About 84 km north of Bangkok our train stop at Ayuthia. When the people get down the train I saw some serious and intellectual looking travelers alighted holding the travelers bible ( Lonely Planet ) in their hand.They must be some kind of a history freaks doing Phd research otherwise they wouldnt go to Ayuthia.

Phitsanuluk. I don't know whats there.

Many travelers get down at Phitsanuluk on the way to Chiang Mai.I must admit I don't know why though I wish that I knew. I hate carrying my Lonely Planet Thailand 1995 edition and I want my hands to be free ( at the expense of losing good info). Again I think these guys must be from Harvard doing research on the whole of Thailand . They look like they will go everywhere including all the hills and valleys.Great travelers carrying 50 kgs backpack.

Chiang Mai.........It makes our heart throb.

Our train finally arrived Chiang Mai at 8.30 pm and passengers quickly disappeared except for tourist and travelers who rush to the information counter .There were about four young Thais on duty at the info counter all very helpful giving us free city map showing guesthouse location and even making phone call if rooms are available.

We got a room at Ben Guesthouse near Ping River for 250 Thai Bhat and rushed to Anusan Market for our dinner. There is a Yunanese Muslim restaurant and 3 smaller stalls selling halal foods. Other than the Night Bazaar practically all shops are closed at this time of the night. Chiang Mai sleeps early and me too.

(to be contd)


No comments:

Post a Comment